If She Had Wings

Two posts in one day! I wanted to show another way to alter the appearance of  the tea dyed calico (received in June’s DT pack from The Altered Element ). You can see the other project on the post earlier today, “Rusty Parisian Gates”.

Products received in June’s DT package from The Altered Element

This project uses the calico in a more feminine way than the first project. Once again I used the Heidi Swapp mask but in conjunction with Camisole Pink emulsion paint (heritage colour) and craft grade bronze metallic paint. Photo shows the piece of calico before and after I used the stencil.

I used Rusting Powder (available from The Altered Element) on a die-cut butterfly. I have the lovely Alison to thank for the butterfly, as I don’t own a die cutting machine she kindly die cut several shapes for me – the butterfly was the perfect addition. My first attempts with the powder I used water and the results were mixed.  Since trying white vinegar the results have been dramatic and this product has completely won me over. The fumes are minimal as they are only from the vinegar. Such a simple product so use but with dramatic results.

Instructions – Rip calico to 8″ x 5″.  Mix emulsion and metallic paint onto a piece of sponge and sponge through the mask. Once dry adhere to cardboard base. Print image onto linen paper (suitable for printer). Sponge Tea Dye and Vintage Photo inks on edges. Distress faux postcards in same manner. Use Crafty Notions Rusting Powder on a die cut butterfly. Paint a fabric bloom with bronze paint. Layer onto the calico base – image, faux postcards, scrap of lace, butterfly die-cut, bloom and a large flat back pearl.

Reminder – let me say this very quietly as it relates to the World Cup! Over at The Altered Element, during a match where England is playing, you can obtain a coupon to receive 10% of your order.

Advertisements

11 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Lynn Stevens
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 11:51:27

    Lynne, This is truly Gorgeous and another new technique to try. How fun!!!

    Reply

  2. craftytrog
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 12:14:42

    Very pretty! Glad to have helped out with the die cuts! x

    Reply

  3. 2amscrapper
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 13:00:40

    so pretty

    Reply

  4. Cath
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 13:46:01

    That’s really pretty, Lynne – a really romantic feel to it.

    Reply

  5. Terry
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 14:04:46

    Very vintage and so stunning! Great job!!!

    Reply

  6. Penny
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 16:03:44

    Beautiful, Lynne! I love that mask and the way you have used it.

    Reply

  7. Julia - Vintage with Laces
    Jun 18, 2010 @ 04:40:29

    The background turned out beautiful, Lynne! This mask is just perfect for it and goes so well with the image you have chosen.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    Reply

  8. Penny
    Jun 18, 2010 @ 14:07:04

    Love how you created your background – and I’m glad you shared your details – I was wondering how you did it with one mask when I envisioned dunking the fabric all at once into tea. I’m going to have to try this technique – thanks for the inspiration!

    Reply

  9. alcoholinky
    Jun 18, 2010 @ 15:39:56

    that damask background is fabulous Lynne!

    Reply

  10. Chris
    Jun 19, 2010 @ 12:43:50

    Beautiful background. Thanks for the instructions, I’m going to try this. Love the overall vintage dreamy look.

    Reply

  11. Marie
    Jun 20, 2010 @ 12:21:07

    Lynne,
    absolutely beautiful – it all works so well together
    and has a real romantic feel to it.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: